The City of North Little Rock has a variety of public spaces that provide the ideal setting for public events of all sizes. The City is “people-oriented” and encourages the use of its parks and other public facilities for the pleasure and enjoyment of the people of Central Arkansas. A successful event requires proper planning and preparation to insure the safety and convenience of the event participants and the general public. Enjoy North Little Rock safely.
Events that must be approved:
Any function to be conducted on any property or other facility of the City must be pre-approved, if the event:
- Will require the closure or obstruction of any public streets or right-of-way; and/or
- Attendance of more than 300 people at the same time is anticipated; and/or
- Alcoholic beverages will be sold, served, or allowed; and/or
- The management of the public facility requires event pre-approval; and/or
- Fireworks or pyrotechnics are planned.
Event Approval Process:
- An original Event Application must be submitted to the appropriate City of North Little Rock department at least sixty (60) days in advance. Your application will be handled by one of the following depending on your event’s venue:
- Neighborhood Services Department
Special Event Contact
3427 North Magnolia
- Parks and Recreation Department
Special Events Team
1 Eldor Johnson Drive
Depending upon event size, the approval process may take up to sixty (60) days.
- Both the city department managing and public safety departments (Police, Fire, Street) will evaluate the application for compliance with facility permitted uses and other facility requirements and/or restrictions. Applications not meeting compliance will be notified in writing.
- The Fire Department will evaluate the application for occupancy limits, fire or explosion hazards, emergency access and exit, and other provisions of the Fire Code, as well as, the need for on-site medical personnel. If you have questions contact the Fire Marshall’s Office at (501) 812-5942.
- The Traffic Services Department will evaluate the application for traffic congestion and public convenience issues, appropriate marking, signage, and/or barricading of closed streets or traffic lanes. A charge may apply if the Traffic Services Department must erect traffic control devices. For information, contact the department at (501) 371-8345.
- The Police Department will review the security plan for the event. Most all events will require at least one officer to provide security and/or traffic control. The total number of officers required will be determined by the type of event, the number of people expected to attend, and if alcoholic beverages are being sold. Arrangements for police services must be made with the police department. The cost averages about $35 per hour for each officer needed. For more information regarding security requirements or to arrange security, contact the Patrol Commander’s office at (501) 771-7182.
- The reviewing departments will return the application form with authorized signature indicating approval, conditions, or reason for denial to the managing department within five (5) business days of receipt.
- The applicant may appeal a denial to the department head of the denying department.
The applicant is responsible for ensuing that the provisions and conditions listed on the approved Event Application are provided. The applicant shall maintain a copy of the approved application on the event site during the event. The failure to comply with the provisions and conditions may result in the cancellation of the event.
Large events such as parades, festivals, and sporting tournaments may take much longer than sixty days to plan. Applications for these events should be submitted as early as possible and at least six (6) months in advance.