USS Hoga (YT 146) is best known for her actions during the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941. Getting underway within 10 minutes after the first Japanese bombs fell, she went to work rescuing sailors in the water, fighting fires, and pulling ships out of harm’s way. Hoga pulled the repair ship USS Vestal away from USS Arizona‘s burning hull, assisted the damaged minesweeper USS Oglala and the battleship USS Nevada. She fought fires on the Nevada as well as the battleships USS Maryland, USS Tennessee, and USS Arizona. In all, Hoga spent 72 continuous hours fighting fires. Hoga is most recognized for pushing the sinking USS Nevada to safety and preventing her from blocking the narrow channel.
For her work, Hoga, her commanding officer, and his crew received a commendation from ADM Chester A. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet.
|Class:||Woban Class District Harbor Tug|
|Builder:||Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Morris Heights, New York|
|Keel Laid:||July 25, 1940|
|Launched:||December 31, 1940|
|Commissioned:||May 22, 1941|
|Decommissioned:||July 1, 1996|
|Crew:||10 Officers and Enlisted|
|Draft:||9 feet, 7 inches|
|Propulsion:||One Propeller; Two Diesel Engines|
World War II Service
Following the attack, Hoga was pressed into additional duty clearing debris and assisting with salvage efforts on the many sunken and damaged vessels. She also continued her primary duty of assisting vessels into and out of their berths.
Post War Service
In June 1948, Hoga was loaned to the City of Oakland, California, for service as a fireboat. Hoga remained in loan status for nearly five decades, serving as the City of Oakland. She received modifications to increase her fire-fighting capability. On July 3, 1980, City of Oakland served as a tour boat for President Jimmy Carter during a 35 minute tour of the Port of Oakland. She received National Landmark Status from the National Park Service on June 30, 1989, for her efforts on December 7, 1941, while still serving as the fireboat City of Oakland. In 1994, the City of Oakland returned Hoga to the Navy. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration for storage.
On July 28, 2005, the United States Navy officially transferred USS Hoga to the City of North Little Rock. On November 23, 2015, Hoga arrived at the Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum in North Little Rock, Arkansas.